Hi all! Noelle here today with my latest storage solution for my ever-expanding collection of dies. You may remember from my Studio Tour that I had been using these knife racks from Ikea for storing my dies. I had five of them, and they eventually became so crammed that I was faced with a dilemma… Either get another knife rack or come up with a better way to store them since I had way too many. Being that I design for The Cat’s Pajamas, and sometimes guest design for other companies, I am blessed because I get a lot of free stuff in the mail. It’s wonderful! 🙂 However, lately my tiny space is feeling even more cramped than normal. I have barely any wall space and I knew that adding another knife rack (maybe even 2 or 3 more down the road…) just wasn’t going to work. So I needed to come up with a new idea. Then looking around on Pinterest I found a few cool ones…
And I came up with my own system, though very similar to others I’ve seen. I had this long silver bin I got at the thrift store a few months ago, I decided to make that my bin for the dies, though in hindsight I might end up putting the cards in plastic pocket sheets in a binder instead of this bin. The cards I made are 3 ¾” by 5 ½” so they would fit nicely in 4” x 6” pockets. But for now, the bin works well. The width of the bin dictated the width of my cards and you can see that some of the dies overhang their cards a bit.
I started out using those cheap magnets that come on the phonebooks. I have a pile of them and they’re so thin that they cut well with a paper cutter. You can even punch through them I once discovered while trying to turn my sons Perler Beads creations into magnets! When I ran out of those, I went to the craft store and got two packs of that magnetic strip that comes in rolls. It even has adhesive already on the back.
I used more of that cheap white cardstock that I’m trying to use up. I cut one of each die also from the white and adhered the white die-cuts that would be included on that card on the front. On the back I put the magnetic strip, and the dies that were for that card. One thing to note is that while nesting dies work fine on this magnetic strip, you can’t really layer dies on it. The magnetic pull of the knife racks is far stronger than these little craft magnet strips.
I decided to use a color coding system, since I tend to work in terms of manufacturer, but you could also break it down by themes, shapes, borders, etc. I started with my Cat’s Pajamas (TCP) CutUps, since I have more of them than any other kind. I didn’t get any more done before this was due, so sorry you won’t get to see the rainbow of manufacturers! When I was all done with all the die cards, I made a yellow divider card, and yellow tabs with the names of the dies included on each card. I’ll do blue for Spellbinders, green for My Favorite Things, red for Papertrey Ink, and so on. This is how the one section looked, the others won’t be nearly as big as this one, but I like how I can keep expanding this without needing to use up more precious wall space.
Maybe a couple of the knife racks will end up in my kitchen…. I’m sure something else will take up that wall space in my studio soon enough!
Have a stellar day! 🙂